Sunday, January 1, 2012

Self-Portraits

So it's 2012. Yay exciting. Alright its not as exciting january 1st at 5pm as it is at 1am. Anyway... This Post is filled with my self portraits since I'm still organizing the rest of my stuff. I hate self portraits because they force you to go against all of the little things you think about how you look. Most of my self-portraits get scrapped, but i have come out with a few good ones. On to the actual artwork parts.

----------------------------

So to start here's my most recent self portrait, framed and everything:





Just kidding... Thats actually from 5th grade. fooled you didn't I (I really hope not. you would really need to have a low opinion of my art or be really stupid. Or both. And typing this I'm realizing that this is really corny and stupid but I'll leave it here just for the hell of it)

Now on to some real stuff. this is a self portrait I did in Adobe Illustrator at Tyler school of art of over the summer. The original reference is from a family trip to Ocean City, Nj. (taken by Brian Linder) As usual my eyes are closed... (*sigh*) This was actually my first or second time touching illustrator but I still like how it came out.



This one was an assignment to do a self-portrait in pastels and include an object from the Tyler prop closet. The closet provided a great deal of entertainment, but not really anything I wanted to work with. I had some sort of flashback to english class when we watched lion king (I'm not entirely sure why but thats where I got the idea) to do a reflection in water. So I got a cup and filled it with water. only then did I realize that a glass cup wont reflect anything. So I used the mirrors we were given. needless to say making up what water looks like reflecting something doesn't work well. the redeeming factor however is that i did a good job on the hands and sort of just made the face a minor annoyance in the middle.

So this was just step 1 on a portrait of blocking in colors, but when its shrunken down on the internet it looks kind of like a blurry painting on its own


And so Heres the finished product. it was a limited kind of psychedelic palette that i used in acrylics for it consisting of 
a neon red-orange, neon yellow, basic yellow, basic white, dark purple, bright blue, light blue, and black.
(Cadmium red light hue, cadmium yellow, cadmium yellow light, titanium white, dioxyline purple, cerulean blue mars black)
It came out interestingly (?) to say the least. Look kind of wrinkly...


 The last one here is an inkscape portrait as an experiment with black and white graphics. anyone on facebook with me probably noticed its my new timeline banner. Aside from an error on the hand I think its my cleanest one yet. 

And I'm out till next post.



Sorry but I just think of this when ever i see sunglasses....

No comments:

Post a Comment