Thursday, December 29, 2011

Working with Prismacolors Markers.

So after the overabundance of support for my my artwork I received at USY International Convention in Philadelphia this past week, I decided that I wanted to step up from facebook photo albums and move into the world of blogging to share my artwork. Throughout the convention I was working with a set of Prismacolor markers (my favorite media at the moment) and everyone loved them so I figured that would be a good place to start the uploading avalanche. This is in chronological order. I personally find it interesting seeing the difference as it goes through time. Without further ado...
-------------------------------------------------------

This first one is the product of a failed school assignment. The assignment was to animate an inanimate object. I had a few sketches that were better than this but i ended up animating a painting. Needless to say my first work with prismacolors was not great. i made a lot of mistakes in it but I came out mediocre. The fish came out nicely though and as a whole its kind of eye catching.

I really don't like to hand in bad assignments. Especially in art classes. And on top of that, someone else made a much better piece. Anyway, I decided to redo the assignment of animating an inanimate object, this time choosing a more cliche tree. This came out much batter that the last one as i started to figure out blending a bit more. Only big thing i dislike about it it the emptiness of the background and the horizon line on the left hand bottom.


This was just for shits and giggles and practice with prismacolors. Its based on a building i saw In D.C the weekend before but changed to be more fantasy/cartoonish. I really wish i had used a ruler/straight edge to make lines straight and parallel but I don't like it enough to redo the entire thing.


So this was the first time I did serious blending on multiple colors together. It's a picture of my grandparents dog, Cooper. It became a holiday present for them and is pending a frame (I'm assuming). After this one I was upset with the way the black line-work flattened the picture, especially the green chair in the background.  I liked how the eyes captured the general demeanor of the doggy.


Because of the way the the lines flattened the chair in the last one, I tried one without any line-work. I never quite finished it. The sky is kind of choppy. Tons of mistakes but apparently it was a common favorite.


This one I actually put time into. It's based  on a picture I took in New Hampshire over the summer. I really liked the line work on this one, especially the details I got on the bottom edges. I might post that later. The water reflection was really difficult because I can make anything lighter once i draw on it and it left some things to be desired and I'm still waiting to get back to the grey scale set of prismacolors for the bar on the bottom. I finished this in about 2 days on and off during convention.



 Bonus: Work in progress. This one it in the same style of the landscape above. I finally think I've figured out how to blend the prismacolors and i really love how the trees, especially the orange-yellow ones on the rocks in the foreground.

No comments:

Post a Comment